Although there are variations where additional ingredients are added to the basic recipe of Chorizo, Eggs, and Potatoes such as Onions and Cilantro, the key difference between a Breakfast Taco offered by one restaurant over another restaurant is the Red Sauce (Salsa Roja) and Green Sauce (Salsa Verde).
Each restaurant has its own recipe for Red Sauce and Green Sauce, and we have discovered that a good Red Sauce and Green Sauce makes all the difference in the tastiness of a basic Breakfast Taco.
For 2015, we have decided to go on a quest to find the best tasting Breakfast Taco Red Sauce and Green Sauce in our opinion. In our quest, we set the following guidelines:
- The Sac N Pac at FM 306 and Purgatory Road in New Braunfels, Texas will serve as the standard for comparison. (As of today, we consider the convenience store offers the best tasting Red Sauce and Green Sauce for Breakfast Burritos)
- The basic Breakfast Taco of Chorizo, Eggs, and Potatoes will be the medium for taste tests and two Breakfast Tacos will be ordered for a given restaurant by each Taste Tester.
- One Breakfast Taco will be used to taste the Red Sauce, and one Breakfast Taco will be used to taste the Green Sauce.
- Taste Testers cannot mix sauces while taste testing else the test will be invalid; another Breakfast Taco must be ordered and the taste test restarted.
- Taste tests will be conducted anonymously and all Breakfast Tacos paid for by the Taste Tester else the taste test will be invalid.
- A list of Taste Tests will be posted on a periodic basis in the format listed below. By the end of the year, the quest will end and results will be posted not later than January 15, 2016.
Do check back periodically as we boldly move forward in our quest for While You Are Dining's "Best Tasting Breakfast Taco Red Sauce and Green Sauce"!
2015 Quest - While You Are Dining's "Best Tasting Taco Red Sauce and Green Sauce"